Sunday, January 14, 2007

IA

Industrial Attachment. Let me 1st briefly describe the place where I worked and what I work as.

 

The company I'm working in is ST Electronics (AMK). It has a big compund with abt 4 or 5 buildings. The place where I worked at is a big office situated on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings. The office is always brightly lit, rain or shine (which you won't know when you are inside), and it consists of ard 50 to 60 cubicles, a few small meeting rooms, 2 or 3 offices for big bosses, and a pantry. I am stationed at one of those few small meeting rooms, at the far end of the big office, together with 2 other fellow IA students in the same department/team.

 

Everyone in my office works on the different system in the transit system, ie, MRT. My department is in charge of PA systems, (whereas other departments includes CCTVs, telephone lines, radio etc). It consists of only my boss, 3 other perm staffs, and 4 IA students (1 from poly leaving soon). There are 2 projects on hand now for my department - setting up of PA system for the local Circle Line MRT, and setting up of PA systems for Gao Siong MRT in Taiwan. I belongs to the Gao Siong project.

 

So, my job scope?

  

Ans: Putting speakers on the architectual plans. Sounds easy? Well, there are lots of knowledge behind it. We have to know abt the different types of speakers, calculate the coverage (power decreases with distance, both vertical and horizontal), learn to read the (damned) architectual plans, determine the different zones etc etc. Shan't bored you guys with the details, but frankly speaking, it is not that difficult either.

 

As for the pple here, they are all quite nice. When I asked one of the perm staff taking care of us whether normally we have OT or not, he replied. "Huh? What is OT??" At 6pm sharp they will actually remind us to go home, which I think is quite rare among the IA students. (The norm is the other way round right?) Then there are many fellow IA students in the same office, so actually quite happy to make a few more new friends. Workload-wise, normally we have to ask for work to do when we are sick of reading up the required reading materials. Quite relaxing so far, hopefully it will continue into the future. =P

 

Hehe. Ming tian hui gen hao!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment