Saturday, November 8, 2008

Life

"Hi, I am JF, and I am a gambler."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Weekends. Whenever I didn't go out to meet friends, I love to sit alone in somewhere quiet, a cafe or foodcourt, to drink and read, and to think about life. Btw, I just had a cup of coffee.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Life. Work. Money... Gambling.

 

On 22/10, I lost $168 in stocks market (SGX).

On 23/10, I earned $180 (St Engg).

On 24/10, I lost $527 (CapitaComm & ST Engg).

On 31/10, I earned $455 (St Engg).

On 03/11, I earned $70 (SMRT).

On 04/11, I lost $120 (Alcatel Lucent).

Yesterday, I earned $300 (AIG). 

 

Money. Easy come, easy go. People say life is full of ups and downs.

 

How true.

 

(I can happily say that I learnt this without having to pay school fee, yet. Hee.)

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Risk. People think: short term trading = high risk, long term investment = low risk.

 

Bullshit. (Financial planners, ahem...)

 

Investing blindly, OR, not watching your investment, OR, invest but don't know when to exit = HIGH RISK.

 

Nothing goes up forever... Nothing.

 

Ups and downs. Remember?

 

(The school fees for learning this is VERY expensive.)

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

I read one article on Weekend Today a few weeks ago. It goes something like this.

 

"Don't sell now. If you sell now, you are doing what is called 'Market Timing'. By doing this, not only you are assuming you know when to sell, but also when to buy. It is ok if you don't want to invest anymore after you sell. But If you do want to invest again, how do you know when to enter the market?"

 

At that time, I thought it quite make sense, so I hold. But since then, the loss of my Unit Trust has escalated from hundreds to thousand plus. I am trapped. Then I realised something:

 

Ignorance costs A LOT (...and will cost alot more in the future).

 

My philosophy: If I don't know something I need to know, I figure it out.

 

'Market Timing'?? Doesn't sound too difficult, does it?

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

I have some very professional colleagues at work. When I asked them what do they do when they go home after work, they reply they read books on technical knowledge. I am impressed, and a little guilty.

 

I also like to read. Nowadays I read analysis reports, news, stock charts, books on trading, and Batman graphic novels.

 

My mind can never be too focus on one thing. I can never be a truely professional professional.

 

I am fated to be a jack of all trades. (trades... haha!) Sad.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Feel, a sense that many neglect.

 

In art exhibitions, I feel the place's atmosphere and the artists' motives. In nature, I feel the life of the trees and the wind on my skin. In stock market, I feel the pulse and emotions of the players in the market.

 

Greed, fear, uncertainty.

 

I realise, I also feel exactly what the market is feeling.

 

Greed, fear, uncertainty. (Ups and downs... and sideways.)

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

No one comments these days (except for some stupid people who advertise on selling WOW gold, f***). Is it because I can't relate to people anymore?

 

I know I have friends. I meet up with people.

 

But I am in a world of my own.

 

 

Ha! Effects of coffee.

 

4 comments:

  1. No la, not cannot relate la. It\'s still quite interesting to read.Busy! busybusybusybusybusybsuybsuybsuybsuybyusbyusybsuysub XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo jie feng! long time no see...nice blog post on stock trading. I am the strong believer of value investing(i am not a market timer as i believe that as long you "hold", lost is not realised) as technical trading requires a lot of homework on analysizing the market sentiments and looking at stock chart. Nevertheless, good to \'see\' you here. I enjoy spending my day in front of my lappie at cafe. Let me know if you want to go for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Weiwu! Nice to see you here. U have an interesting blog too! Anwz regarding investing philosophies, to each his own! Haha!
     
    Cya one day!

    ReplyDelete