Monday, April 7, 2008

虚于实2

An ancient philosophy question:

 

One day, you came to my room and talked to me, you knew right then that I existed. After you left and close the door, how do you know I still exist? How to you PROVE that, I, or in fact, everything in the room, is still there (when the door is closed)?

 

You can't, can you?

 

Everything you know of the reality is through your five senses, and you should know that five senses can be easily fooled. (Ah, how I love optical illusions.) Since the five senses can be easily fooled, how do you know that the reality you know is the REALLY REAL, CONCRETE reality?

 

You can't, can you?

 

However, you might be relieved that at the very very least you can prove that YOU yourself exist. "Cogito, ergo sum - I think, therefore I am" - Descartes.

 

But, that is ALL you can prove - YOU exist, and nothing else. 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 


 

This is called 太极图 (commonly mistaken for 八卦, but no, it is NOT 八卦, and that will be for another entry). The black and white in it usually symbolize Yin Yang. In this case I choose to interpret it as Imagination and Reality.

 

Here, everything is in a flux of change. Who knows where Imagination begins and Reality ends? When Imagination is going to become Reality, Reality is going to become Imagination? Is reality really Reality? Or is it just part of Imagination?

 

Nobody knows.

 

I believe that reality is not concrete and fixed. I believe that reality is fluid and malleable. I believe that reality can be changed and bent at will. I believe that we can create our own reality from our own imagination. I believe. DO you?


No? You don't?

 


Then how the hell did the boy bend the spoon in Matrix???

 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


(Hmmmm that doesn't seems very logical... Oh no... I ki siao liao... exam stress... heehee)


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

 

Neo: What truth?

 

Boy: There is no spoon.

 

Neo: There is no spoon?

 

Boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.


 

3 comments:

  1. u nv cease to amaze me..lol...please keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I kinda inspire this imagination vs reality thingy?It\'s ironical when you try to hold onto something that you think it\'s real, the very act of it actually pushes the real thing away... thus, it becomes unreal. 假作真時真亦假。無為有處有還無。因空見色,由色生情。轉情入色,自色無空。空 = non-existent.Hence. I DisappearDisappeaDisappeDisappDisapDisaDisDiD...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!! a simple blog can inspire such chim comment..i can only say this is out of my "reality vs imaginary" theory..haha

    ReplyDelete