Sunday, July 10, 2005

江南行 - Night 7


Night 7 (30 Jun) - Shanghai

 

At 7pm, my cousin came. Introduction: "Hi, I’m Youjie." – "Hi, I’m BingLiang." Nothing remarkable. At 7.15pm, Larissa came. Introduction: "Hi, I’m Larissa." – "Hi …I’m Ivan." Mine and Youjie’s eyes opened wide. In fact, it was at that moment then I knew my cousin’s English name is Ivan. Anwz we learnt an important lesson that day: Names must match in an introduction.

 

My cousin brought us to a restaurant in 新天地. Despite our large age difference, there’s no awkwardness between us. Maybe that is because he don’t look that old (Larissa guessed he’s from ’77, made my cousin so happy =). Or maybe it’s because we were all from the HC. Come to think of it, I’m walking exactly the same path my cousin had walked: TCHS, HCJC, NTU EEE. He’s a senior engineer working in Shanghai now. What’ll I be 9 years down the road?

 

After dinner (Cousin, thanks!), we went for a walk around 新天地. Met Larissa’s friend along the way. It turns out that my cousin has some connections with the place where Larissa’s friend is working. Straight away they exchanged phone numbers. And it also turns out that the Larissa’s friend is the one Larissa mentioned to us yesterday! 美美! Haha! The world is small.

 

And it was then that I realised the full power of networking. So what if you get all As and Bs in your exams? What truely determines whether you succeed or not depends on whether you've friends to help you in your work. After this incident, I'm sure it'll be easier for my cousin and 美美 to work together. The power of networking. Take note, Jiefeng, you introvert!

 

Later my cousin brought us to a nearby 许留山 for dessert while waiting for Shuhui to come. Seems like the dessert shop with same surname as me is doing quite well, all Singaporeans know abt it. Hope that next time 许杰峰 will do just as well. =)

  

At 10 pm my cousin had to go, since he needs to catch the company bus back home. Alas can't intro Shuhui to him. Anwz, Shuhui came shortly after and brought us to a bar called Shintori, 人间. Nice place with nice atmosphere, with highly interesting toilets and entrance. I shan't tell the secrets to opening them, but my future house's toilets will be similar. =P We shared the test tubes of vodka and took lots of pictures inside.

 

At 12 we sent the 2 gals home plus paid a visit to their house. It's very messy but it's homely. Said hi to their housemates. Log into MSN and my blog for the first time in 7 days, surprised to see Xiaonan's comment that she's in Shanghai now. But very dui that I've no way of contacting her. Haiz... Could have met one more 60ian.

 

Sat for a while, then Larissa and Shuhui sent us downstairs to 打车 back to hotel. What a looong, tiring but interesting day!

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment