Saturday, July 30, 2005

Dune

I have been reading Dune  by Frank Herbert these days after I found that I can find (and borrow) the whole set of Dune Series from the new National Library in city area. The book has been termed 'Science Fiction's Supreme Masterpiece' on its cover page. Well, I've just read 69 pages out of 500+, so it remains to be seen. But it seems like the Dune universe is immense since the book comes with appendixes, glossary, map and even cartographic notes! Even Tokkien's Lord of the Rings don't have cartographic notes. I guess Harry Potter will have to wait. Hopefully the book price will drop by the time I finish with the Dune Series.

 

Anwz I just came across this passage from the book. It's a Bene Gesserit  proverb:

 


"Any road followed precisely to it's end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain."

 

How do you apply this to life?

 

 

PS. From the glossary, Bene Gesserit  is 


the ancient school of mental and physical training established primarily for female students after the Butlerian Jihad destroyed the so called "thinking machines" and the robots.

Wah!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment